One note = one vote. Like or reblog to vote for your state! Go Washington! http://thefaultinourstarsmovie.com/demandourstars
YouTube/Harry Potter Fan Communities
tw for mentions of assault, abuse, manipulation, harassment
I do not know how to make videos or say words.
Well, I’ve been unfollowing a couple #Youtube musicians this week! I do not support people who do not follow #consent. It has been brought up that maybe the higher support in the community has lead to more people being able to come out about this, but whether or not that is the case, #Nerdfighteria, active consent and healthy relationship models ect should become a topic for the #FoundationToDecreaseWorldsuck to explore further. :DFTBA
And, y’know, kids dying.
Also…How to Train Your Dragon 2.
Also: Like me when I was 17.
Except I didn’t have a Hazel Lancaster or Jennifer Lawrence-type girlfriend. Or, for that matter, any type of girlfriend.
…or a dragon.
I ACTUALLY, SERIOUSLY USED BEST WISHES IN AN E-MAIL. OMG.
"Nerdfighter Esther Earl died of cancer. While she was alive, John and Hank Green told her that they would do anything she wanted. She wanted a day a year, her birthday, to remind people to say ‘I love you.’"
It’s August 3rd, meaning Esther would have been 19 today. I hope everyone celebrates the way she would want you to.
Spotted downtown Denver.
OK…we’re definitely getting in with the hydrocarbon crowd now!
I DIDN’T HAVE TIME TO EXPLAIN, WE JUST DID IT.
Nerdfighter Benedict? Or just failed Vulcan?
As far as I can tell, there are eight possibilities here. (I’ve spent a fair bit of time thinking about this.)
1. Benedict Cumberbatch is a hardcore nerdfighter and when Martin Freeman threw up a gang sign, Cumberbatch was like, “I have one of those.”
2. Cumberbatch, who obviously has a relationship with Star Trek, just naturally changed the Vulcan sign (pulling in the thumbs, turning the palms inward, crossing the arms) in precisely the same way that I happened to change the Vulcan sign when I first made the nerdfighter sign in the halcyon days of 2007.
3. One of the interns on set who has gained the trust of Benedict Cumberbatch was like, “If you do your hands like this, the Internet will get really excited.” And so he did.
4. BBC, in their infinite wisdom, staged the entire photo and Cumberbatch was taught the nerdfighter sign (I MEAN LOOK AT THE PERFECTION OF HIS NERDFIGHTER SIGN! He seems so comfortable and confident in it, almost as if it is muscle memory, almost as if he has flashed it to his laptop screen on hundreds of occasions in the past, but I digress) and this photograph was staged to get people psyched for Sherlock, although what tiny segment of nerdfighteria is not already psyched for Sherlock? Also, if this is the case, who is Martin Freeman trying to advertise to? Residents of the West Side?
5. Benedict Cumberbatch has a relative or a friend who is a nerdfighter and so he is passingly familiar with nerdfighteria and liked what he has seen and wanted to make us all very happy.
6. The nerdfighter sign also happens to be the hand sign of some obscure English gang with which I am unfamiliar called like The East London Wanderers or The Slightly Intimidating Liverpudlians or whatever.
7. Nerdfighteria actually figures in the plot of the new season of Sherlock. Perhaps a nerdfighter has been (wrongly no doubt!) accused of a murder.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch was playing some kind of British version of Rock Paper Scissors against two invisible opponents, and he went double scissors (as any smart person would).
My name is Mariana and I’ve been a Nerdfighter since 2008. I’m currently writing my master thesis about participation and culture in online communities, and decided to do a case study about Nerdfighteria.
I chose this community because I believe there is a lot to learn from its unique history and dynamics. Nerdfighteria has shown time and again that it is capable of reaching great goals, and I think it is important to explore and understand how it does so. With that in mind, I prepared a survey that inquires about Nerdfighter culture and Nerdfighters’ participatory behavior in order to better understand the inner workings of this community… And now I need YOUR help.
If you watch Vlogbrothers’ videos and consider yourself a Nerdfighter (or not!), please take the time to take my survey. It takes around 15-20 minutes to fill out, and you would be helping me out enormously.
You can find the survey here.
Once I finish my study, I will be sure to share my findings on Tumblr.
Please feel free to message me if you have any questions about the questionnaire or my research at all.
Thank you all so much, and DFTBA!!!
If you have a few minutes, please help out Mariana!
How did this get 71,000 notes?!
Also, now that tumblr is being bought by yahoo, does this mean I will finally get paid for every note generated? And if so, can I declare that payment as fishing boat proceeds?!