I ACTUALLY, SERIOUSLY USED BEST WISHES IN AN E-MAIL. OMG.
"Nerdfighter Esther Earl died of cancer. While she was alive, John and Hank Green told her that they would do anything she wanted. She wanted a day a year, her birthday, to remind people to say ‘I love you.’"
It’s August 3rd, meaning Esther would have been 19 today. I hope everyone celebrates the way she would want you to.
Spotted downtown Denver.
OK…we’re definitely getting in with the hydrocarbon crowd now!
I DIDN’T HAVE TIME TO EXPLAIN, WE JUST DID IT.
Nerdfighter Benedict? Or just failed Vulcan?
As far as I can tell, there are eight possibilities here. (I’ve spent a fair bit of time thinking about this.)
1. Benedict Cumberbatch is a hardcore nerdfighter and when Martin Freeman threw up a gang sign, Cumberbatch was like, “I have one of those.”
2. Cumberbatch, who obviously has a relationship with Star Trek, just naturally changed the Vulcan sign (pulling in the thumbs, turning the palms inward, crossing the arms) in precisely the same way that I happened to change the Vulcan sign when I first made the nerdfighter sign in the halcyon days of 2007.
3. One of the interns on set who has gained the trust of Benedict Cumberbatch was like, “If you do your hands like this, the Internet will get really excited.” And so he did.
4. BBC, in their infinite wisdom, staged the entire photo and Cumberbatch was taught the nerdfighter sign (I MEAN LOOK AT THE PERFECTION OF HIS NERDFIGHTER SIGN! He seems so comfortable and confident in it, almost as if it is muscle memory, almost as if he has flashed it to his laptop screen on hundreds of occasions in the past, but I digress) and this photograph was staged to get people psyched for Sherlock, although what tiny segment of nerdfighteria is not already psyched for Sherlock? Also, if this is the case, who is Martin Freeman trying to advertise to? Residents of the West Side?
5. Benedict Cumberbatch has a relative or a friend who is a nerdfighter and so he is passingly familiar with nerdfighteria and liked what he has seen and wanted to make us all very happy.
6. The nerdfighter sign also happens to be the hand sign of some obscure English gang with which I am unfamiliar called like The East London Wanderers or The Slightly Intimidating Liverpudlians or whatever.
7. Nerdfighteria actually figures in the plot of the new season of Sherlock. Perhaps a nerdfighter has been (wrongly no doubt!) accused of a murder.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch was playing some kind of British version of Rock Paper Scissors against two invisible opponents, and he went double scissors (as any smart person would).
My name is Mariana and I’ve been a Nerdfighter since 2008. I’m currently writing my master thesis about participation and culture in online communities, and decided to do a case study about Nerdfighteria.
I chose this community because I believe there is a lot to learn from its unique history and dynamics. Nerdfighteria has shown time and again that it is capable of reaching great goals, and I think it is important to explore and understand how it does so. With that in mind, I prepared a survey that inquires about Nerdfighter culture and Nerdfighters’ participatory behavior in order to better understand the inner workings of this community… And now I need YOUR help.
If you watch Vlogbrothers’ videos and consider yourself a Nerdfighter (or not!), please take the time to take my survey. It takes around 15-20 minutes to fill out, and you would be helping me out enormously.
You can find the survey here.
Once I finish my study, I will be sure to share my findings on Tumblr.
Please feel free to message me if you have any questions about the questionnaire or my research at all.
Thank you all so much, and DFTBA!!!
If you have a few minutes, please help out Mariana!
How did this get 71,000 notes?!
Also, now that tumblr is being bought by yahoo, does this mean I will finally get paid for every note generated? And if so, can I declare that payment as fishing boat proceeds?!
I don’t know how many of you were fortunate enough to be able to get the TFIOS audiobook as narrated by John, but I was one of those three thousand, and I feel so grateful for having the opportunity to hear him read that book.
His reading starts out jaggedly- a bit of music, and then, robotically, “thefaultinourstars, byjohn green,” but you can hear him become comfortable in the book, in his book, really quickly.
Until you forget that he was wary to read it.
Until you forget that he is a thirty two year old man reading first person for a teenage girl.
Until all that exists is you and the story and the voice of the man who has known these characters the longest. Until you feel like you’re in that third space that Hazel and Augustus can only find on the telephone, where I am walking home from school in the bright afternoon in Arizona and he is sitting in a recording studio in Indianapolis and both of us are there together with Hazel and Augustus in The Fault in Our Stars.
With many stories, it’s easy to forget the author and live with the characters. It’s easy to forget the person who put fingers to keys to make those characters come to live, to make ink and paper into flesh and blood in their own worlds. But in fandom, we have the amazing experience of feeling the writers as much as the characters- we know J.K. Rowling, we know Steven Moffat, we know John Green. We meet the people who make the stories happen and we see them as people outside of and mingled into the stories that they wrote.
And hearing John read, hearing his voice crack and break a little and hearing his breathing as he held “I do Augustus. I do,” as he let Augustus go, as he let Hazel break… it gave me a connection to the characters, the story, and the author that I never would have felt otherwise.
The TFIOS audiobook as read by John is becoming available again and YOU SHOULD BUY IT.
Today (just today!) nerdfighters around the world have loaned more than $50,000 to entrepreneurs throughout the developing world, from Rwanda to Kosovo.
That’s more money than the kiva nerdfighter group loaned in its first YEAR. Happy Birthday, Hank!
If you want to join the lending binge, check out the nerdfighter kiva group!
Thank you everyone! No one gets birthday presents like I get birthday presents, Nerdfighteria is the best.
DID HE JUST
Oh, he quoted Starkid
and he did it
for Joe Moses
*fangirling over John Green fangirling over someone I also fangirl over*
Fangirling over you fangirling over John fangirling over someone I also fangirl over.
However, allow me to suggest that we all just calm down and appreciate each other as human beings for a moment…before continuing to flail.